When listing a home in today's Dane County market, sellers need to be careful to avoid certain mistakes. Today I'd like to share six particular listing blunders to stay away from when you sell.
1. Overpricing your house. In a market like ours, homes are selling above their list price. However, it's still good to know the market value of your home and price it at or near that value if you want to create a bidding war for it.
2. Limiting the availability of your house for showings. You need to live in your house like you’re selling it—not like you’re living in it. This means you need to be sure it's available for showings at a moment’s notice so you can get the highest number of visitors.
3. Not decluttering. Clutter inside your home makes it look smaller and tougher to show.
4. Letting unpleasant odors linger. If your home smells like your cat’s litter box or a giant ashtray, it will be a turnoff for buyers.
5. Being unwilling to negotiate.
It's crucial not to overprice your home
6. Being unwilling to make repairs.
As an important side note, I’ll add that you should always listen to your home stager. They're a good source to help you avoid some of the mistakes on this list.
As always, if you have any questions or you’re thinking of buying or selling a home in our Dane County market, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d be glad to help.