by Shawn Kriewaldt.
on Friday, November 17th, 2017 at 12:00pm.
Winter is coming. Here are just a few tips on getting your home ready for the cold.
Want to sell your home? Get a FREE home value report.
Want to buy a home? Search all homes for sale.
I’ve got a few quick tips to share with you today that will help you get your home ready for the cold temperatures that are coming this winter.
1. Remove garden hoses from water spigots and drain them. If you leave a hose attached, it may hold water that could freeze and end up bursting your spigot and flooding your basement.
Don’t leave your hoses attached to the spigots.
2. Get your furnace serviced. If your furnace hasn’t been checked in the last year, it's not a bad idea to have it looked at. At the very least, change the filter.
3. Turn the ceiling fans in reverse. This will push the warm air from the ceiling into the room and help you stay comfortable.
4. Open the lower cold air return vents and close the upper ones. This will draw the cold air from near the floor into the furnace during those colder months.
5. Install storm windows or doors. Window insulation kits do a great job of stopping drafts coming through your windows.
6. Clean the gutters. It's a lot easier to do this before the weather starts getting cold and the snow starts falling.
As always, if you have any questions for us, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.