by Kelly Holck
on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018 at 12:11pm.
Welcome back, friends!
This week, on All Things Dane County, I’m going to share with you one of the top-rated neighborhoods in Madison, WI which is located on the near West side: Shorewood Hills. If you’re planning to start a family and love Dane County, then Niche says this is the right neighborhood for you! Not only do they say it's extremely family friendly, but Niche rates it as one of the best suburbs to live in Wisconsin as well.
Another website that’s fun to use is AreaVibes, which rates neighborhoods on their livability in comparison to Wisconsin,
as well as the rest of the country, based on a variety of criteria. The Village of Shorewood Hills has a pretty stellar report card which features an A+ in the following:
1. Amenities - this includes amenities that are offered within the village as well as those nearby
2. Crime - crime rates here are impressively lower than that of Wisconsin and the United States as a whole
3. Education - based on average test scores, student:teacher ratio, and total public/private/post-secondary schools
4. Employment - including income per capita, median household income, median income owner/renter occupied, median earnings male/female, unemployment rate, and poverty level
One thing that I did notice was the community received a D- in weather. The average in this area is 71 degrees in the summer and 30 degrees in the winter. I don’t know about you, but those temperatures sound pretty PERFECT to me. Anyway, if you don't like cold winters, then Wisconsin probably isn't for you.
Though the AreaVibes report card highlights many important categories, these aren't the only benefits of living in the Village of Shorewood Hills. It's located right on Lake Mendota, which offers boating as well as fishing of a large variety of species. It's also is home to a ton of parks, as you can see on the map above. And for all of you active Wisconsinites, both Blackhawk Path and Campus Drive Pedestrian Bicycle Path cut right through the village.
• Eight week outdoor camps for kids aged 4-6 and 7-11, basketball for children in grades 1-6, soccer programs for kids 5 and up, and tennis, golf, and a canoe/kayak program offered to both the kiddos and the adults
• For those who would rather dig in the dirt than chase a ball around, there's a garden open to the community with over 80 plots
• Shorewood Hills League - all adults in the village automatically hold membership to this group which is about meeting fellow community members, organizing social events, project proposal, and idea sharing
• Garden Club - for all ages to protect and nuture the nature that exists in the village
You can also join the Blackhawk Country Club which is located near the lake. See below for the benefits of being a member.
The last point I'd like to touch on, which was briefly mentioned above, is the Education system.
Shorewood Hills kids will most likely attend Shorewood Hills Elementary, Hamilton Middle School, and West High School. All three of these schools are rated extremely high in the top schools in Wisconsin on various websites. One specific point that Shorewood Hills Elementary prides itself on is the diversity of the school (displayed in the graph below). There are students from over 30 countries who attend Shorewood Hills Elementary. Over a third of the population of the school's primary language isn't even English!
Then check out the current listings in the Village of Shorewood Hills. Feel free to reach out if you find one that you love! For some other helpful resources that are not linked throughout the blog but are located in the community, check out the "Related Links" below.
If the Village of Shorewood Hills just isn't for you, then we'd be happy to provide you with some information and resources on areas that do interest you. Send us an email or give us a call today!